qemu-block

Re: [POC 2/2] add test exposing AHCI reset issue

From: Fiona Ebner
Subject: Re: [POC 2/2] add test exposing AHCI reset issue
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 12:17:12 +0200

Am 24.08.23 um 15:38 schrieb Fiona Ebner:
> Fails without the previous commit "hw/ide: reset: cancel async DMA
> operation before reseting state".
>
> I haven't ever written such a test before, but I wanted something to
> expose the problem more easily. It hardcodes the behavior that the
> pending write actually is done during reset, which might not be ideal.
> It could just check that the first sector is still intact instead.
>
> If I should make this a proper test, I'd be happy about some guidance,
> but not sure if required for such a specific one-off issue. After all,
> a different variation of the bug might have written to some other
> sector not covered by this test.

While trying to turn it into a proper test with Philippe's and Thomas's
suggestions, I wanted to add a comment about the buffer size. So I tried
figuring out what the "magic" value is. At the very beginning, I had
tried 4 KiB, but then the callback wouldn't be pending, so I just picked
512 KiB for my proof-of-concept. It turns out to be racy though, and
with a buffer size of 64 KiB, it is flaky whether or not the callback is
still pending on my system. Should I just pick a large enough buffer
size (maybe 4 MiB) and hope for the best?

Best Regards,
Fiona