qemu-block

[RFC] Convert VMWARE vmdk (snapshot) to raw disk

From: Jinpu Wang
Subject: [RFC] Convert VMWARE vmdk (snapshot) to raw disk
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:49:44 +0100

Hi,

We want to convert some VMWARE VM to KVM, and to reduce the VM down
time, we want to do it in two steps copy approach:

1. a snapshot is taken
- source VM continues to run on VMware => diff creates

2. snapshot is available for download as vmdk
- we need a software to copy snapshot to target VM raw disk

3. source VM is shut down
- diff is available

4. diff needs to be applied to target raw disk
is qemu-img able to do it, or is there another tool?  I saw commit
98eb9733f4cf2eeab6d12db7e758665d2fd5367b