qemu-block

Re: [RFC 0/4] mirror: implement incremental and bitmap modes

From: Fiona Ebner
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/4] mirror: implement incremental and bitmap modes
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:50:17 +0100

Am 29.02.24 um 13:00 schrieb Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy:

> But anyway, this all could be simply achieved with
> bitmap-copying/merging API, if we allow to pass user-given bitmap to the
> mirror as working bitmap.
>

>> I see, I'll drop the 'bitmap-mode' in the next version if nobody
>> complains :)
>>

> Good. It's a golden rule: never make public interfaces which you don't
> actually need for production. I myself sometimes violate it and spend
> extra time on developing features, which we later have to just drop as
> "not needed downstream, no sense in upstreaming".

Just wondering which new mode I should allow for the @MirrorSyncMode
then? The documentation states:

> # @incremental: only copy data described by the dirty bitmap.
> #     (since: 2.4)
> #
> # @bitmap: only copy data described by the dirty bitmap.  (since: 4.2)
> #     Behavior on completion is determined by the BitmapSyncMode.

For backup, do_backup_common() just maps @incremental to @bitmap +
@bitmap-mode == @on-success.

Using @bitmap for mirror would lead to being at odds with the
documentation, because it mentions the BitmapSyncMode, which mirror
won't have.

Using @incremental for mirror would be consistent with the
documentation, but behave a bit differently from backup.

Opinions?

Best Regards,
Fiona