qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu the right way.

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu the right way.
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 15:14:35 +0000

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 05:48:50PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> I have been using Qemu in the past about 8 years ago or so to run legacy
> windows software.
>
> I installed the latest qemu and noticed a lot changed and cant find
> conclusive answers online.
>
> I am writing this post to find what is the right way to start to set up qemu
> with a windows 7 pro guest. I want to try and eliminate the iterations and
> find out what is really possible for the guest.
>
> Hardware used"
> 24 Core AMD rackserver.
> Host OS Debian 9 Stretch
> Guest Windows 7 Pro 32 bit
>
> Requirements:
> 1) I need to be able to run at least 4 processors in the guest. Is this
> possible with qemu as hosts ?
> 2) I need to at least have sound working from applications in the guest with
> pulseaudio on the Debian host. Is it  possible ?
> 3) USB, what is the level of support 2.0 3.0 ?
> ( However windo$ 7 cannot really do USB3. so usb-3 is moot anyway)
> 4) What kind of devices can be run through usb ?
>
> The answers to 1-4 will be really helpful to decide if I should even be
> using it. The documentation is schetchy about all this.
> I tried Virtualbox, but it is just a nice looking empty promisebox yielding
> nothing. Since Qemu helped me a lot in the past I will have better chances
> here.
>
> 5) I am currently installing win7pro guest with command
> $] qemu-system-x86_64 -boot c -cdrom /dev/cdrom -m 2048M
>
> and left out all the network card and sound driver switches as I have no
> clue what I should choose.
> Can they be configured afterwards ?

Running QEMU manually is pretty complex.  It's often used as a component
underneath libvirt - with nicer GUIs on top.

Have you tried virt-manager (https://virt-manager.org/) or GNOME Boxes
(https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Boxes)?

That way you don't need to learn all the details of QEMU command-line
options (and there are many!).

Stefan