qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Internship idea: virtio-blk oss-fuzz support

From: Bandan Das
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Internship idea: virtio-blk oss-fuzz support
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 08:40:41 -0500

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi folks,
> I'd like to start fuzzing emulated devices in QEMU.  Here is an
> internship project idea I'm proposing to do this.
>
> Any thoughts?  Want to co-mentor this in Google Summer of Code or Outreachy?
>
> Stefan
>
> '''Summary:''' Integrate oss-fuzz into QEMU so that the virtio-blk
> device can be fuzz tested.
>
> oss-fuzz offers a fuzz testing service to open source projects.  This
> means random inputs are continuously tested against the program in
> order to find crashes and other bugs.  Fuzz testing complements
> hand-written test suites by exploring the input space of a program and
> therefore the code paths that may be taken.
>
> The goal of this project is to integrate oss-fuzz into QEMU so that
> the virtio-blk-pci device can be fuzzed at both the VIRTIO and PCI bus
> level.  virtio-blk-pci is a PCI device, which means it is connected to
> the virtual machine's PCI bus and has a certain set of registers that
> can be programmed by the guest.  Furthermore, it is a VIRTIO device -
> this is the specification the describes most of the functionality of
> virtio-blk.  Bugs exist at both the PCI and VIRTIO levels, so it's
> important to fuzz both of them.
>
> Fuzzing emulated devices involves accessing their hardware registers
> randomly to make the device respond.  QEMU has a device testing
> interface called "qtest" that accepts read/write and other commands
> over a socket and is ideal for writing device-level tests.  You may
> find that oss-fuzz works better integrated directly into the QEMU
> program instead of as a separate qtest program, so you can consider
> adding a new command-line option to QEMU for running in oss-fuzz mode.

This sounds very interesting and if successful can easily be a stepping stone
to other sections. I would be interested in co-mentoring specifically focusing
on the PCI code.

One of the things I remember getting into trouble with when I was trying to hack
on this, especially fuzzing Qemu as a whole is what would the run environment
be like ? Would Qemu attempt to run a regular guest in oss-fuzz mode or only
a certain part of Qemu (emulated devices for example) be somehow run without
interacting with other dependent components ?

Bandan