qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Very slow finding extents in QCOW2-backed nbd

From: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Very slow finding extents in QCOW2-backed nbd
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 14:41:35 +0000

28.01.2019 14:58, Tim Smith wrote:
> Hi all, I have a question about the intent of the last call to
> bdrv_co_block_status() in bdrv_co_block_status(), in block/io.c about line
> 2195, which looks like this:
>
>          ret2 = bdrv_co_block_status(local_file, want_zero, local_map,
>                                      *pnum, &file_pnum, NULL, NULL);
>          if (ret2 >= 0) {
>              /* Ignore errors.  This is just providing extra information, it
>               * is useful but not necessary.
>               */

Hi Tim!

The question is highly discussed now on list, in short: yes it's a problem, and,
I hope, we'll soon reach a consensus about how to finally fix it.

This second block_status request is needed when we have qcow2 image with
metadata preallocation, which means that qcow2 data clusters are actually backed
by holes on filesystem level.

You can follow the discussion under the following threads:

initial discussion:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-12/msg05749.html

solutions:

cache lseek results, by Kevin:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-01/msg06271.html

detect preallocation, and don't do second block_status for not preallocated,
my last try:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-01/msg06598.html

--
Best regards,