qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] VSOCK performance

From: Stefano Garzarella
Subject: [Qemu-devel] VSOCK performance
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 12:39:32 +0100

Hi Yiwen,
I'm currently interested on how to improve the VSOCK performance and I
read your discussions with Jason, Michael, and Stefan on both
linux-netdev and qemu-devel mailing lists.

Are you still working on it?

Reading the discussions I understood that batching can help us a lot
to increase the VSOCK performance (especially for guest->host
direction).

As a first step, I added VSOCK support to iperf3 [1] in order to
measure the current performance of VSOCK (without any modification):

              Single socket
Guest->Host        ~950MB/s
Host->Guest       ~2700MB/s

They are slightly different from your results but I think that depends
on the hardware.
My current setup is the following:
HW: Lenovo T480s (i7-8650U, DDR4 2133 Mhz)
OS (guest/host): Fedora 29 (Linux 4.20.4-200.fc29.x86_64)
Guest app: iperf3 --vsock -s
Host app:  iperf3 --vsock -c $GUEST_CID -l 64K

Just to double check these values, can you share with me the tool that you used?

Thanks,
Stefano

#1 https://github.com/esnet/iperf/pull/840

--