qemu-devel

Re: CI for qemu-hexagon

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: CI for qemu-hexagon
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 18:53:50 +0000

Alessandro Di Federico <ale@rev.ng> writes:

> Hi Alex, I hope you enjoyed the holidays!
>
> We're trying to upstream idef-parser (the automatic generator of the
> Hexagon frontend). This introduces new dependencies, specifically flex
> and bison.
>
> Attached you can find our patch for that.
>
> However the CI fails:
>
>     https://gitlab.com/carl.cudig/qemu/-/jobs/1939950230
>
> AFAIU the Hexagon docker image is "special" since it's the only one
> that needs the cross-compiler to be built from source and, therefore,
> it's a process that needs to be triggered manually.

It's not that special now - we have the same for microblaze and nios2
(and more are coming). There was a build that moved the hexagon
toolchain to using prebuilts hosted by QC but it ran into problems and
I'm waiting for an update to that/

> Is this correct?
>
> If so, what should we do? Make a pull request despite the failure and
> then it will be taken care of, or should I make a separate (preliminary)
> pull request just for that patch?

Just include the patch to update the docker file in the series that
introduces the feature and mention it in the cover letter. Users can
always build the container locally and we can ensure the binary image is
updated once it's merged.

--
Alex Bennée