qemu-devel

Re: [v2] hw: misc: edu: fix 2 off-by-one errors

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [v2] hw: misc: edu: fix 2 off-by-one errors
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 10:18:49 +0100

Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@kernel.org> writes:

> On 17. 10. 22, 16:13, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>   * for situations where the guest has misprogrammed the device,
>>     log that with qemu_log_mask(LOG_GUEST_ERROR, ...)
>>     and continue with whatever the real hardware would do, or
>>     some reasonable choice if the h/w spec is vague
>
> As I wrote in the previous mail, can we stop the machine after the
> print somehow, for example? So that the students have to "cont" in the
> qemu console as an acknowledgment when this happens.

You can bring the system to a halt with vm_stop(RUN_STATE_PAUSED) or
possible RUN_STATE_DEBUG?

I don't know how obnoxious the message should be at this point (i.e.
should it be masked by LOG_GUEST_ERROR) because if the system halts the
user might not notice. However I guess with this device they would be
expecting to check this sort of thing.

--
Alex Bennée