qemu-devel

Re: QEMU features useful for Xen development?

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: QEMU features useful for Xen development?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:37:45 +0100

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> writes:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 at 01:57, Stefano Stabellini <sstabellini@kernel.org>
> wrote:
>> As Xen is gaining R52 and R82 support, it would be great to be able to
>> use QEMU for development and testing there as well, but I don't think
>> QEMU can emulate EL2 properly for the Cortex-R architecture. We would
>> need EL2 support in the GIC/timer for R52/R82 as well.
>
> We do actually have a Cortex-R52 model which at least in theory
> should include EL2 support, though as usual with newer QEMU
> stuff it quite likely has lurking bugs; I'm not sure how much
> testing it's had. Also there is currently no board model which
> will work with the Cortex-R52 so it's a bit tricky to use in practice.
> (What sort of board model would Xen want to use it with?)

We already model a bunch of the mps2/mps3 images so I'm assuming adding
the mps3-an536 would be a fairly simple step to do (mps2tz.c is mostly
tweaking config values). The question is would it be a useful target for
Xen?

  https://developer.arm.com/documentation/dai0536/latest/

> The Cortex-R82 would be more work, because (unlike the R52) it's
> AArch64, and we don't have Armv8-R AArch64 support yet, only the AArch32.
>
> I haven't looked at whether GIC on R-profile requires any changes
> from the A-profile GIC; on A-profile obviously we emulate the
> virtualization support already.
>
>> On Cortex-As, in addition to a PCI root complex and an arbitrary PCI
>> device, SMMUv3 emulation (both stages) and GICv3 ITS are needed to be
>> able to test PCI Passthrough.

We have ITS emulation support and it was recently plumbed into the
"sbsa-ref" board as it is needed for higher level SBSA compliance.

>> However, if I recall correctly SMMUv3
>> emulation in QEMU might not be complete enough to enable us to use it.
>
> Yeah, at the moment the SMMU emulation supports stage 1 and stage 2,
> but not both at the same time. This is good enough for PCI passthrough
> with a Linux guest using KVM to pass a device through to a nested
> Linux guest.

Is this a missing feature for SMMUv3 or something introduced in the
later revisions?

We have sketched out the tasks for SMMUv3.2
(https://linaro.atlassian.net/browse/QEMU-558) with a view to whats
needed for RME guests to access hardware. However I think there is a lot
of other stuff needed specifically for RME including what we do about
modelling things like TDISP. Realistically it will be awhile before we
get to completing all of that.

--
Alex Bennée
Virtualisation Tech Lead @ Linaro