qemu-devel

Re: Kext files for VirtIO

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Kext files for VirtIO
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 09:40:04 +0000

aziz tlili <aziztlili2222@gmail.com> writes:

> Do u guys have some free time to develop kext files "drivers" for VirtIO
> devices (like virtio-gpu-pci and virtio-blk-pci and
> virtio-net-pci) for PowerPC MacOS X Tiger (10.4.11) and later (till
> Leopard 10.5)? Please, I need them as soon as possible!

I don't think open source maintenance and "free time" go together very
well. QEMU developers are either volunteers scratching their own itches
or paid by their respective organisations to advance their particular
areas of interest.

Developing VirtIO drivers for operating systems is really something for
the OS vendor to deal with. However considering Apple has already
transitioned architecture *twice* I suspect they have no interest
drivers for something already out of support.

If you really need something that urgently I think you'll only get it by
hiring someone familiar the OS to write one for you.

--
Alex Bennée
Virtualisation Tech Lead @ Linaro