qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 02/10] hw/hppa/machine: Disable default devices with --nodefau

From: Helge Deller
Subject: Re: [PULL 02/10] hw/hppa/machine: Disable default devices with --nodefaults option
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 20:26:41 +0100

On 2/2/24 19:04, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 10:54:20AM +0100, Helge Deller wrote:
Hi Guenter,

From: Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de>

Recognize the qemu --nodefaults option, which will disable the
following default devices on hppa:
- lsi53c895a SCSI controller,
- artist graphics card,
- LASI 82596 NIC,
- tulip PCI NIC,
- second serial PCI card,
- USB OHCI controller.

Adding this option is very useful to allow manual testing and
debugging of the other possible devices on the command line.

With this patch in the tree, I get some interesting crashes in Seabios
if I provide a somewhat unusual command line option. For example,
something like

      -usb -device usb-ehci,id=ehci \
      -device usb-uas,bus=ehci.0,id=uas \
      -device scsi-hd,bus=uas.0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=d0 \
      -drive file= ...

is accepted as command line option but results in

SeaBIOS PA-RISC 32-bit Firmware Version 15 (QEMU 8.2.1)
Duplex Console IO Dependent Code (IODC) revision 1
    (c) Copyright 2017-2024 Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de> and SeaBIOS developers.
    Processor   Speed            State           Coprocessor State  Cache Size
    ---------  --------   ---------------------  -----------------  ----------
        0      250 MHz    Active                 Functional            0 KB
        1      250 MHz    Idle                   Functional            0 KB
        2      250 MHz    Idle                   Functional            0 KB
        3      250 MHz    Idle                   Functional            0 KB
    Emulated machine:     HP C3700 (64-bit PA2.0) with 32-bit PDC
    Available memory:     1024 MB
    Good memory required: 16 MB
    Primary boot path:    FWSCSI.0.0
    Alternate boot path:  FWSCSI.0.0
    Console path:         SERIAL_2.9600.8.none
    Keyboard path:        SERIAL_2.9600.8.none
*ERROR* in SeaBIOS-hppa-v15:
prepare_boot_path:2898
SeaBIOS wants SYSTEM HALT.

This is without --nodefaults, and it used to work. Is that intentional ?

This should now be fixed in the upcoming SeaBIOS-hppa-v16 version ("devel"
branch):
https://github.com/hdeller/seabios-hppa/tree/devel
Could you test?

I was able to build from the 'master' branch, but 'devel' gives me

hppa64-linux-ld: target elf32-hppa-linux not found

The devel branch now includes a 64-bit firmware too.
You need both, hppa (32-bit) and hppa64 (64-bit) gcc
and binutils packages installed.

Do you have a binary seabios image, by any chance ?

http://www.dellerweb.de/temp/hppa-firmware.img

If it doesn't work, please give me the full command line.

qemu-system-hppa -M C3700 -smp 4 \
        -kernel vmlinux -no-reboot -snapshot \
        -usb -device usb-ehci,id=ehci \
        -device usb-uas,bus=ehci.0,id=uas \
        -device scsi-hd,bus=uas.0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=d0 \
        -drive file=rootfs.ext2,if=none,format=raw,id=d0 \
        -append "root=/dev/sda rootwait console=ttyS0,115200" \
        -nographic -monitor null

That line boots for me now.

This is with qemu 8.2.1. Note that the number of CPUs doesn't make a
difference. It turns out this also crashes/aborts immediately with
"nodefaults".

Adding "--nodefaults -serial mon:stdio" to the line above works too.

If I do use the --nodefaults parameter, I was unable to figure out how
to configure the serial console. What command line parameter(s) do I need to
get it ?

You need to add:
-serial mon:stdio
This will create a serial port if it's not yet there.

And there was me trying all variants of "-device pci-serial-4x..." I could
think of ;-).

:-)

Helge