qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 0/4] machine development tool

From: Maksim Davydov
Subject: Re: [PULL 0/4] machine development tool
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 00:00:55 +0300

On 3/8/24 06:47, Peter Xu wrote:
On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 12:06:59PM +0300, Maksim Davydov wrote:
On 3/6/24 04:57, Peter Xu wrote:
On Tue, Mar 05, 2024 at 03:43:41PM +0100, Markus Armbruster wrote:
Peter Maydell<peter.maydell@linaro.org>  writes:

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 at 13:52, Maksim Davydov<davydov-max@yandex-team.ru>  wrote:
The following changes since commit e1007b6bab5cf97705bf4f2aaec1f607787355b8:

    Merge tag 'pull-request-2024-03-01' ofhttps://gitlab.com/thuth/qemu  into
staging (2024-03-01 10:14:32 +0000)

are available in the Git repository at:

    https://gitlab.com/davydov-max/qemu.git  tags/pull-compare-mt-2024-03-04

for you to fetch changes up to 7693a2e8518811a907d73a85807ee71dac8fabcb:

    scripts: add script to compare compatibility properties (2024-03-04
14:10:53 +0300)

Please note. This is the first pull request from me.
My public GPG key is available here
https://keys.openpgp.org/vks/v1/by-fingerprint/CDB5BEEF8837142579F5CDFE8E927E10F72F78D4

scripts: add a new script for machine development

Hi; I would prefer this to go through some existing submaintainer
tree if possible, please.
Migration?  QOM?  Not sure.  Cc'ing the maintainers anyway.
Yeah this seems like migration relevant.. however now I'm slightly confused
on when this script should be useful.

According to:

https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20240222153912.646053-5-davydov-max@yandex-team.ru/

          This script runs QEMU to obtain compat_props of machines and
          default values of different types of drivers to produce comparison
          table. This table can be used to compare machine types to choose
          the most suitable machine or compare binaries to be sure that
          migration to the newer version will save all device
          properties. Also the json or csv format of this table can be used
          to check does a new machine affect the previous ones by comparing
          tables with and without the new machine.

In regards to "choose the most suitable machine": why do you need to choose
a machine?

If it's pretty standalone setup, shouldn't we always try to use the latest
machine type if possible (as normally compat props are only used to keep
compatible with old machine types, and the default should always be
preferred). If it's a cluster setup, IMHO it should depend on the oldest
QEMU version that plans to be supported.  I don't see how such comparison
helps yet in either of the cases..

In regards to "compare binaries to be sure that migration to the newer
version will save all device properties": do we even support migrating
_between_ machine types??

Sololy relying on compat properties to detect device compatibility is also
not reliable.  For example, see VMStateField.field_exists() or similarly,
VMStateDescription.needed(), which are hooks that device can provide to
dynamically decide what device state to be saved/loaded.  Such things are
not reflected in compat properties, so even if compat properties of all
devices are the same between two machine types, it may not mean that the
migration stream will always be compatible.

Thanks,
In fact, the last commit describes the meaning of this series best. Perhaps
it should have been moved to the cover letter:
Often, many teams have their own "machines" inherited from "upstream" to
manage default values of devices. This is done because of the limitations
imposed by the compatibility requirements or the desire to help their
customers better configure their devices. And since machine type has
a hard-to-read structure, it is very easy to make a mistake when
transferring
default values from one machine to another. For example, when some property
is set for the entire abstract class x86_64-cpu (which will be applied to
all
models), and then rolled back for a specific model. The situation is about
the same with changing the default values of devices: if the value changes
in the description of the device itself, then you need to make sure that
nothing changes when using the current machine.
Therefore, there was a desire to make a dev tool that will help quickly
expand
the definition of a machine or compare several machines from different
binary
files. It can be used when rebasing to a new version of qemu and/or for
automatic tests.
OK, thanks.

So is it a migration compatibility issue that you care (migrating VMs from
your old downstream binary to new downstream binary should always succeed),
or perhaps you care more on making sure the features you wanted, i.e., you
want to make sure some specific devices that you care will have the
properties that you expect?

I think compat properties are mostly used for migration purposes, but
indeed it can also be used to keep old behaviors of devices, even if the
migration could succed with/without such a compat property entry.

If it's about migration, I'd like to know whether vmstate-static-checker.py
could also help your case (under scripts/), perhaps in a better way,
because it directly observes the VMSD structures (which is the ultimate
form on wire, after all these compat properties applied to the devices).

If it's not about migration, then maybe it's more QOM-relevant, and if so I
don't have a strong opinion. It seems still make some sense to have a tool
simply dump the QOM tree for a machine type with all properties and compare
them between machines with some binaries.  For that I'll leave that to
Markus to decide.

Btw, I tried to apply the patches and build, but failed:

In file included from ../qapi/qapi-schema.json:70:
../qapi/machine.json:224: text required after 'Example:'
[40/2810] Generating trace/trace-hw_ide.h with a custom command
[41/2810] Generating trace/trace-hw_isa.h with a custom command
[42/2810] Generating trace/trace-hw_intc.c with a custom command
[43/2810] Generating trace/trace-hw_mem.h with a custom command
[44/2810] Generating trace/trace-hw_isa.c with a custom command
[45/2810] Generating trace/trace-hw_intc.h with a custom command
[46/2810] Generating trace/trace-hw_mem.c with a custom command
make: *** [Makefile:162: run-ninja] Error 1

There also seems to have an assumption that QEMU is built under "build/" in
the script.

+default_qemu_binary = 'build/qemu-system-x86_64'

Sorry for late response
This is the default value, the script has the option to redefine the path to
the binary `--qemu-binary`

--
Best regards,
Maksim Davydov