qemu-discuss

Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to boot the ARM server ISO on QEMU?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to boot the ARM server ISO on QEMU?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 10:46:32 +0000

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 10:18, Ciro Santilli <address@hidden> wrote:

> https://askubuntu.com/questions/797599/how-to-run-ubuntu-16-04-arm-in-qemu
>
> I wanted to test out the ISO from: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/server/arm
> on QEMU, but haven't managed to run it, has anyone ever done that?

> # Run.
> # TODO where to put this?
> #-drive "file=${img},format=qcow2" \
> qemu-system-aarch64 \
>   -M virt \
>   -cdrom "$iso" \
>   -cpu cortex-a57 \
>   -device virtio-net-device,netdev=net0,mac=11:11:11:11:11:11 \
>   -m 2G \
>   -netdev type=tap,id=net0 \
>   -nographic \
>   -pflash "$flash0" \
>   -pflash "$flash1" \
> ;

Just using -cdrom isn't likely to work. I'd expect that you need
a collection of -device options to set up some virtio devices or
possibly some other PCI device that you can then eventually
plug the ISO image into via -drive.

libvirt knows how to attach CDROM images to a virt board setup,
so you could look at how it does it.

PS: I suggest you use the virtio-net-pci device rather than
virtio-net-device which will be virtio-mmio, unless your guest
can't cope with PCI for some reason.

thanks
-- PMM