qemu-trivial

Re: [Qemu-trivial] [Qemu-devel] clang-tidy: use g_new() family of functi

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: [Qemu-trivial] [Qemu-devel] clang-tidy: use g_new() family of functions
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 15:55:28 +0000

Hi

Suggest you show us cool things you can do with clang-tidy that haven't
been done with Coccinelle :)

Well to do that I would have to have a transformations to do & know the limits/strength of coccinelle & clang-tidy, I am not there yet... Today, I prefer invest in clang-tidy for what I need to do.

We already discussed some of the pros/cons of coccinelle vs tidy her and in the previous round-up series. For ex, clang-tidy is able to evaluate constant expressions, so you can write generic rules that you can't capture with coccinelle yet (A + B-1) / B * B: https://github.com/elmarco/clang-tools-extra/blob/master/clang-tidy/qemu/RoundCheck.cpp.

However, I think it is more difficult to write clang-tidy transformation that spans accross various code paths (like adding errors/free/locks etc). Coccinelle makes that fairly easily apparently.
--
Marc-André Lureau