Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Proposal: Storing excess file information

From: Bud P . Bruegger
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Proposal: Storing excess file information
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:56:44 +0100

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:58:55 -0800
Ben Escoto <address@hidden> wrote:

> So it seems the database format took longer to read and write.  At
> least in the writing case this was apparently because it took up much
> more space on disk and disk writes are relatively slow.

I'm surprised about how much space it takes!  I expected overhead for the hash,
but not that much.  Maybe number strings don't distribute as evenly through the
hash as filenames.  That could probably affect size and speed--but in any case,
I agree that text performs much better.

>     The shelve format would have done better at random access.

This was the use pattern I had in mind--but as you pointed out it is rare.

-b