RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Remove some backups before a date but not all ?

From: Spicer, Kevin
Subject: RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Remove some backups before a date but not all ?
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:34:48 -0000

> How can I do that with rdiff ? Can I say "remove all backup
> of the last
> month but keep the baqckup of the first day of this month" ?

You can't - rdiff-backup stores a copy of each file in its current state and a
series of incremental diffs, which allow a file to be restored to its state at
some point in the past.  For example to restore a file to its state at the time
of a one day old backup (assuming daily backups) you would apply the most
recent diff to the current file copy in the mirror, which would roll it back
one day.  To roll the file back seven days you would need to apply all the
increments for the last seven days (effectively rolling it back a day at a
time).  At present there is no way to combine diffs so you need to keep all
diffs back to the oldest date you may wish to restore.  Unless you the contents
of your filesystems change frequently and dramatically I think you'll be
pleasently suprised by how little space these take up

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk +44 (0)20 8566 5000

This message (and any attachment) is intended only for the recipient and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you have received this in
error, please contact the sender and delete this message immediately.
Disclosure, copying or other action taken in respect of this email or in
reliance on it is prohibited. BMRB International Limited accepts no liability
in relation to any personal emails, or content of any email which does not
directly relate to our business.