RE: [rdiff-backup-users] restore by non-root users

From: breisfel
Subject: RE: [rdiff-backup-users] restore by non-root users
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 08:41:44 -0700

>===== Original Message From Ben Escoto <address@hidden> =====
>
>Yes, if you just change the permissions and/or ownership of
>rdiff-backup-data and any desired subdirectories, it should work.
>There is a complication though: suppose user A owns directory /foo at
>time 1 and B owns it at time 2.  Who owns the
>rdiff-backup-data/increments/foo subdir?  Either way one A or B is
>going to see which files the other had.  Of course in some
>circumstances (e.g. a user's home directory) this may not arise.  Oh,
>and if you give the user his/her backup directory the user might screw
>it up - it would be best if you made it read-only somehow.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to come up with some coherent strategy to
address the issues you raised.

By the way, thank you (and other contributors) for rdiff-backup. It's proving
to be very useful to my group. It's also another good example of the use of
Python to create a 'real' application.

-Brad

Brad Reisfeld, Ph.D.
Center for Environmental Toxicology and Technology
Department of Environmental Health
Colorado State University
Foothills Campus
Fort Collins, CO  80523-1680