Re: [rdiff-backup-users] A "digest stand-in" Option?

From: Kent Borg
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] A "digest stand-in" Option?
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 09:28:34 -0500

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 12:17:55AM -0800, Ben Escoto wrote:
> Well, something like this is already possible using the rdiffdir tool
> in the duplicity package.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

> Now, in rdiff-backup's case, the issue is a bit trickier.  If you did
> a restore, it might get confusing because rdiff-backup wouldn't be
> able to restore those files that were only 'digested'.
>
> So it is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure what's the right way of
> adding functionality like this..

Wouldn't it be like doing a restore and not getting "exclude" files?

I guess that also brings up a question of missing files.  What happens
if I do a backup on day one, on day two create a bunch of files, and
then do a restore back to day one.  Do the created files get deleted
in the restore?  If so, how are they differentiated from excluded
files that never go backed up?  Or do excluded files also get deleted
in restores?

In the situation with digest files it would obviously not be possible
to restore tham, but as they are known to exist it would also not be
necessary to delete them as files that didn't exist as of a previous
restore date.

I agree there might be tricky issues here that are important to get
right.

-kb