Re: [rdiff-backup-users] "object is not callable"

From: Troels Arvin
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] "object is not callable"
Date: 22 Aug 2003 14:27:11 +0200

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 21:28, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> Just because you created a file doesn't mean that you have permission
> to access it; it needs to be set readable/writable/executable-by-user.
> The fact that you created a file does mean you can _set_ these bits,
> and then access it, but it's certainly possible to create a file that
> cannot be accessed without first doing an explicit chmod...

OK. That explains the problems I'm seeing. On Linux at least, the
problem doesn't show up if running the rdiff-backup command as root, but
it does happen if running rdiff-backup as a non-root user.

I wish that rdiff-backup would make sure that it is able to
read+write(+excute) every file (and directory) that it creates in the
backup-area.

Would that be a big problem? - As far as I remember, rdiff backup stores
file attributes in a database anyways(?), so the actual permission bits
of the backed up files shouldn't be that essential?

Where in the code should I look if I were to try to mend the situation
myself?

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark