Re: [rdiff-backup-users] crashing question

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] crashing question
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:48:06 -0700

  WM>   I've just run rdiff-backup version 0.12.3 and had it crash.
  WM> I've included the crash below.  It didn't write any error logs
  WM> into the rdiff-backup directory, nor did it write any
  WM> current_mirror markers, so it won't run.

  WM>   Two questions:

  WM> 1) Can you tell why it crashed?
  WM> rdiff_backup.robust.SignalException: 1

Looks like SIGHUP.  Maybe someone killed your shell.

  WM> 2) How can I do a backup now?

Delete the rdiff-backup-data directory (assume it was your first
backup).

  WM> 3) I could delete the whole directory (not a big deal as it's a
  WM> first time shot), but is this the standard way of dealing with
  WM> rdiff-backup when it has a problem?  I'd hate to have dozens of
  WM> archived versions of files and then have to blow everything away
  WM> when it crashes.

That error message should only arise when the first rdiff-backup-data
session fails.  In the first session there isn't anything important in
the rdiff-backup-data directory (everything should be in the mirror).
Once the first session completes, there is a different error
procedure, see

http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/error_policy.html

--
Ben Escoto