Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Increased resource usage in rdiff-backup 0.12.3

From: Kevin Spicer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Increased resource usage in rdiff-backup 0.12.3
Date: 29 Aug 2003 08:02:12 +0100

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 07:41, Ben Escoto wrote:

>   LM> For example, on one day a backup failed with File
>   LM> "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.2/gzip.py", line 43, in __init__ IOError:
>   LM> [Errno 24] Too many open files:
>
> rdiff-backup should only have a few files open at a time.  Isn't there
> some way to list the open files?  (I seem to recall some obsure way
> but can't remember the specifics.)  Also I think someone running
> Solaris had this problem a long time ago, but the resolution was
> inconclusive.

That would have been me  (and yes it was a long time ago!).  I fixed it
by creating a wrapper script to both ends of the connection which did...

ulimit -n unlimited

before calling the rdiff-backup process.  Note you need to create a
wrapper at both ends and this means you have to modify the remote-schema
with a command-line argument.

There are also some tweaks to /etc/system that can be done on Solaris if
the problem persists.

Let me know if you need more details.

Kevin

BMRB International