Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Why Tape

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Why Tape
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:43:46 -0700

On 27 Sep 2003 00:59:28 +0100 Kevin Spicer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tape is still an important consideration for many people.  In any event
> the majority of the design considerations for archiving to tape (ie.
> sequential reading / writing) have other advantages as touched on in
> some of my other posts (such as the ability to restore undamaged
> portions of damaged/ truncated archives, and reading/ writing an archive
> to a stream

Yes, I remember reading an interview linked from Slashdot recently.
The scientist noted that data storage size had grown much quicker than
the bandwidth to access that storage.  I think he said something like
"Everyone agrees that soon we will have to start thinking of storage
as a sequential, not random-access, medium".

--
Ben Escoto