Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Estimated time for a 20 GB backup

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Estimated time for a 20 GB backup
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 16:15:35 +1100

Stephen Boulet wrote:
I got an 80 GB USB hard drive (it's really an IDE drive with a USB conversion kit). Does rdiff-backup take a long time to run the first time, and should it run faster for later runs? So far, it's done about 17GB over the last 6-8 hours.

is that 40Mbytes/sec?
thats probably about right for the drive+usb combo (usb2 i take it)
read the website - basically next time it runs it will only transfer the changes and keep the old versions as reverse diffs. So yes - it will run drastically faster the next time. I have 18Gb odd backup sets that on an average day take 20mins or so for rdiff-backup to finish.
thats over firewire

dave