Re: [rdiff-backup-users] a windows release and some questions

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] a windows release and some questions
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 10:00:25 +1100

Ben Escoto wrote:

This would actually be a pain to add because rdiff-backup deals with
files which have filenames, metadata, etc.  Most of the functions deal
at that level of abstraction.

So instead of restoring $RESTORE_IN to stdout, why not write a script
that goes like this:

rdiff-backup -r xxx $RESTORE_IN $TEMP
cat $TEMP
rm $TEMP

There may have to be a temp directory, but the users don't have to
know about that.  I guess the problem is temp space?

yeah the tmp thing is not a problem - we are doing that. Ryan has written an excellent web interface we are seeking permission to release. However for large files, extracting it to temp and then piping it to the user takes a while. Space is cheap, time is money :)

Will keep this message unread and get back to 3 in a bit hopefully.

Cool, point 1 and point 3 are pretty similar, so I think if you can solve point 3 point 1 will work too. Ryan will look at point 3 as well - he might be able to shed more light on it

dave