Re: [rdiff-backup-users] wanted: Open Source disk to disk backup for Win

From: Greg Freemyer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] wanted: Open Source disk to disk backup for Windows
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:58:24 -0500

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 18:40, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 03:14:41PM -0800, Matt Wilkie wrote:
> > John Goerzen wrote:
> >
> > >Well since you did ask here... doesn't rdiff-backup work for windows?
> >
> > The FAQ[0] indicates that it is possible to run rdiff-backup under
> > windows but says only "to a point", indicating a problem with
> > timestamps, which I would think are rather important.
> >
> > [0] http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/FAQ.html#windows
> >
> > I do like the description and feature list of rdiff-backup. There is
> > enough overlap with Infinifsan D2D that I wonder if there are parts of
> > rdiff under the hood.
>
> That FAQ entry is rather dated.  I know I've seen rdiff-backup versions
> that work around that timestamp problem.
>
> -- John
I think the only fundamental problem is with ACLs, and that only with
the unstable version.  (ie. The stable version doesn't handle ACLs at
all.)

Check for posts from David Kempe.  He has even wrapped an installer
around rdiff-backup.

(I have not tried it yet, but I keep meaning to.)

Details:
rdiff-backup for windows uses the cygwin dll (included in the
installer).

The cygwin dll maps NT ACLs to posix ACLs, and in the process drops a
few.  I don't think they are the commonly used ones.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer