Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup Strategy

From: Donald Henson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup Strategy
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:26:39 -0600

Thanks. That looks like a good list. (Sorry about the confusion over the missing e-mail.)

Don Henson

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 09:43, Maik Schreiber wrote:
> Is my current strategy sufficient?

Probably not, unless you don't care to re-install your machine(s) in case you
broke the operating system.

> Should I be backing up other directories?

see above

> Should I just back up everything from / on down?

Definitely not. I somehow recall that reading some files in /proc can be
dangerous. In any case, there's no need to backup that one, since it's
"created" by the kernel.

Here's my list of excluded directories:

/boot		- I'd recompile the kernel from scratch
/dev		- I use devfs; back it up when you don't
/lost+found	- ext2/3-specific
/mnt		- external mounted stuff
/proc
/root		- there should be nothing in there anyway
/tmp
/usr/portage	- Gentoo-specific
/usr/tmp
/var/lock	- run-time lock files
/var/log	- you may want to backup these
/var/run	- run-time state data
/var/state	- same
/var/tmp

--
Maik Schreiber   *   http://www.blizzy.de

GPG public key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1F11D713
Key fingerprint: CF19 AFCE 6E3D 5443 9599 18B5 5640 1F11 D713