Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem with large files

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem with large files
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 19:46:57 -0700

> rdiff-backup-0.13.3-1
> python-2.3.3-2
> glibc-2.3.3-0.20040101.13
> kernel-2.4.24-0.2
> Processing changed file IT/Backups/Pioneer/Data/CRM_data.mdf
> python: ERROR: (rs_file_copy_cb) seek failed: Invalid argument
> python: ERROR: (rs_job_complete) patch job failed: IO error
> Exception 'librsync error 100 while in patch cycle' raised of class
> UpdateError IT/Backups/Pioneer/Data/CRM_data.mdf librsync error 100
> while in patch cycle

These all look like recoverable UpdateErrors.  If the source file is
changing during the backup then you can expect to get errors like
this.

But if you get this problem even on static large files, the issue is
probably librsync, which has had some problems in the past.  Make sure
you're running the most recent version (0.9.6 I believe).  If this
problem still appears, try running a sig-diff-patch cycle on that file
just with rdiff and not rdiff-backup.  If that fails then the problem
is not with rdiff-backup proper.

--
Ben Escoto