Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UpdateError foo Updated mirror temp file bar do

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] UpdateError foo Updated mirror temp file bar does not match source
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:30:09 -0700

> Can somebody please explain what this error message means?
>
> UpdateError mnt/main8/var/log/syslog/hosts/site Updated mirror temp file
> remotehost/mnt/main8/var/log/syslog/hosts/rdiff-backup.tmp.8 does not match
> source
> UpdateError mnt/main8/var/log/syslog/hosts/host Updated mirror temp file
> remotehost/mnt/main8/var/log/syslog/hosts/rdiff-backup.tmp.9 does not match
> source

The error is probably caused by files changing as rdiff-backup
processes them.  If this happens, rdiff-backup doesn't touch the file
for the session, leaving it as it was previously.  See
http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/error_policy.html for more
information.

You could just ignore these errors, and assume that rdiff-backup will
eventually find the file not changing under it.  Another, possibly
more principled, option is to use LVM snapshots or something similar
(I have no experience with these though).

--
Ben Escoto