[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup Input/output error

From: Thomas S. Dixon
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup Input/output error
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:17:43 -0400

Greetings all,
I have 2 questions, but first some background. We've been using rdiff-backup for about 6 months and it's been fantastic. Unfortunately, we lost some disks in our storage enclosure (which held the rdiffs) and had to start from scratch. I have now restored the rdiffs back to the enclosure from tape. Rdiff-backup lists all the increments fine. However, now I'm trying to run a subsequent backup to the restored rdiff-backup location and it errors immediately. I believe that the pertinent error is this:

OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/backup/yellowstone/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0'

So I have 2 questions. First, what is the function of this rdiff-backup.tmp.0 file? I'm guessing it's a temp file used only by rdiff-backup during a backup. My first thought were permissions, maybe rdiff-backup couldn't create this file, but I was able to create it manually. Second question is: What kinds of things might cause this OSError? I've already looked at permissions and they seem fine.

I've tried searching the list archives and google, but have been unsuccessful. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Tommy

--
Thomas S. Dixon
Senior Applications Analyst