Re: [rdiff-backup-users] IOError: [Errno 11] Resource deadlock avoided

From: Charles Ulrich
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] IOError: [Errno 11] Resource deadlock avoided
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:12:26 -0400 (EDT)

Alec Berryman said:
> begin  quotation of Charles Ulrich on 2004-09-16 14:20:52 -0400:
>

>> The OS is FreeBSD 4.10.
>
> <snip>
>
>> I'm running 0.12.7
>
> It's unfortunate that the latest version in ports is 0.12.7 - would
> you be willing to try 0.13.4 and see if the error persists?
> Alternatively, are you able to test if backing up with a method that
> isn't samba produces the same error?  Does a smaller subset of that
> backup over samba produce the same error?
>
> Alec

Hi Alec,

0.12.7 is the latest stable version on the rdiff-backup website as well. Since
this is a production system, we'd rather not use the development branch unless
there is absolutely no other alternative.

I did, however, try to narrow down the error a bit more to a particular file
on the Samba share: a user's Outlook .pst file. When I tried to cp the Samba
share to a local directory, it choked on the file with the following modified
error message:

cp: /path/user.pst: Bad address

I'm guessing the user has Outlook open which is locking the file in some way
that smbfs can't cope with. So this isn't really an rdiff-backup problem
except that I'd rather it just skip over files that it can't open for reading
instead of raising an exception and aborting the whole backup process. As it
is now, I'll have to exlude all *.pst files from the backup which is bad for
obvious reasons. (Unless someone wants to cook up a quick patch, which would
be highly appreciated.)

Thanks

--
Charles Ulrich