Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Segmentation fault; Exception 'Truncated header

From: Joe Baker
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Segmentation fault; Exception 'Truncated header string', Kernel BUG at <bad filename>:144!
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:01:57 -0600

Bjoern wrote:

Hello,

going nuts here. I'm using rdiff 0.13.4 (librsync 0.9.7) on a i686 Linux pc to incrementally backup two servers. One server runs just fine, but the other one breaks during rdiffing. I used this command:

root # rdiff-backup --exclude /mnt --exclude /proc [--exclude ...] / desthost::/backup/server2

However, it fails with a segfault, here's the output:

desthost::/backup/server2

It didn't look like there was any info describing which filename the script was unable to handle. Maybe you could use a system tracing utility to see what files are being opened when it bombs. I've found strange symbols to be difficult to deal with such as the degree symbol.

One clue might be to look at your destination directory and see alphabetically which is the last folder to be copied over (assuming they are copied in alphabetical order).

Good luck!
-Joe Baker