[rdiff-backup-users] windowsmode, list (-l), Bad rdiff-backup-data

From: Marko Faldix
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] windowsmode, list (-l), Bad rdiff-backup-data
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:15:33 +0200

Hello,

I want this to be searchable in the maillinglist for those with same problem.
It took me some days to solve this quite easy problem.

I have a windows fat32 partition and a linux partition. I don't use cygwin. I
am going to use rdiffbackup on linux partition to backup files from fat32
partition to another fat32 partition.

During backup I have to use option --windows-mode
Then I tried to get some statistic information by using -l, such as
rdiff-backup  -l /Backups/

Here I got error message:

"Fatal Error: Bad rdiff-backup-data dir on destination side

The rdiff-backup data directory
/Backups/rdiff-backup-data
exists, but we cannot find a valid current_mirror marker.  You can
avoid this message by removing this directory; however any data in it
will be lost.

Probably this error was caused because the first rdiff-backup session
into a new directory failed.  If this is the case it is safe to delete
the rdiff_backup_data directory because there is no important
information in it."

Fortunately I didn't delete anything. This error is just because of that
simple reason that you need the --windows-mode either for listing options
 -l (--list-increments ), --list-at-time time, --list-changed-since time and
so on. In short, use always --windowsmode if backing from a windows
partition/directory to another windows partition/directory.

Greetings,
Marko