[rdiff-backup-users] Problem running against smb mounted filesystems w/c

From: Joe Baker
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Problem running against smb mounted filesystems w/changes in backup directory.
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:13:12 -0500

I have some scripts which regularly mount windows C drives onto /mnt/machines/machinename.
Next an rdiff-backup process runs.

I've noticed a couple instances where a file INDEX.html wasn't getting updated to the archive.

It may have been caused by running Nautilus in the directory which created some sort of icons.db file in the rdiff-backup backup directory. Maybe this is a clue to why the files weren't being backed up. However there were no errors when the backup job ran.

We had another instance which may have also been caused by such new files being introduced into the backup directory. I'm keeping an eye on the problem. I'm thinking of adding reporting features to my scripts which would send each user a summary report indicating the files that have changed in their file space within the last day (using the --list-changed-since 1D option.
rdiff-backup version 0.13.4
rsync version 2.6.3
Samba 3.0.4 ( I know it's old .. running in ldap compatibility mode with 2.x schema )

--
/Joe Baker/
Network Administrator