Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: rdiff-backup remounts partition readonly?

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: rdiff-backup remounts partition readonly?
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:23:04 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Christos Tachtatzis wrote:

> I have an error in my system log as follows. Running e2fsck resulted
> to the error below. Is it safe to ignore this error? What I can do to
> recover?
[snip]
> Jun 25 12:35:28 tux kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 224690255
> Jun 25 12:35:28 tux kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_readdir:
> directory #14041149 contains a hole at offset 0
[snip]
> /dev/sdb1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Error reading block 26362044 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
> resulted in short read) while reading indirect blocks of inode
> 13175716.  Ignore error<y>?

Well.. I guess you don't have a device of 26362044*512=115041410560 bytes
(=115GB), so reading that block is supposed to return error. So, inode
13175716 contains incorrect / corrupted information.

Running e2fsck without any special command line switches, the suggested
answers are usually fine. e2fsck tries to make the best of it. The -y
command line switch implies 'y' to all questions, and "allows e2fsck to be
used non-interactively". So, just accepting the default values should be
ok.

>From the e2fsck manpage:
       Almost  any piece of software will have bugs.  If you man-
       age to find a filesystem which causes e2fsck to crash,  or
       which  e2fsck is unable to repair, please report it to the
       author.

HTH,
 Maarten