Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup error due to different versions of rdiff

From: Wolfgang Dautermann
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backup error due to different versions of rdiff-backup
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:30:36 +0100

Ben Escoto wrote:
Yes, good point.  I wonder if I add this though, then someone will
want various sorting options, someone will think -la displays too much
information, etc.  Personally I'm happy with -la output.  Can anyone
think of a better display/format, or of a more flexible way to do
this?

Too much information should not be a problem, one can easy remove unneeded information (for example with some shell tools (grep, sed, ...). various sorting options might also be done by external programs.

I see two main uses for such a feature:

- enable the user to check, when a (modified, accidently removed) file or directory was still there. For that, especially the timestamp and the size of a file is important, a "ls -la" like output is probably exactly that, what a user wants...

- simplify the programming of tools like web based restore utilities, GUIs, ... For such tools one should provide as much as information as possible, a program can always ignore unneeded information.

(2) rdiff-Backup should be able to parse the date-formats from the own output.
Ok, patch at

http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewcvs/rdiff-backup/rdiff_backup/Time.py?root=rdiff-backup&r1=1.12&r2=1.13&makepatch=1&diff_format=u

Thanks.

Bye, Wolfgang

--
FH JOANNEUM / Fahrzeugtechnik
Automotive Engineering & Railway Engineering