Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Simple nightly script?

From: Will Prater
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Simple nightly script?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:37:55 -0700

My /proc/ folder is empty on FreeBSD.

On Oct 19, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:

Hi Greg,

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Greg Freemyer wrote:

I've looked at the examples at
address automated nightly scripts and error handling.

Are there some more complex examples available?

You need to implement locking yourself, in case a backup takes more than 24 hours. I use this:

LOCKFILE=/var/lock/backup-by-rsync.pid

if [ -r $LOCKFILE ]; then
        OTHERPID=`cat $LOCKFILE`
        if [ -n "$OTHERPID" -a -d "/proc/$OTHERPID" ]; then
                echo "Another backup is already running:"
                ps auxww | grep $OTHERPID | grep -v grep
                exit 1
        else
                echo "Stale lockfile deleted: process $OTHERPID not running"
        fi
fi

echo $$ > $LOCKFILE

rdiff-backup ...

rm $LOCKFILE

I'm backing up to a local directory on a dedicated backup disk so it is easy enough to add "rdiff-backup /src /backup" to my backup script.

But what about catching errors?

Seems like I should be sending output to a log file, grepping thru it and
e-mailing it to myself if anything goes wrong.

I used to let rdiff-backup write errors to the standard output, which means that they are included in cron's email. However, I get a load of errors of minor importance (UpdateError /some/file does not match source, socket path too long, etc.).

What I do now is write the output from rdiff-backup to a logfile, and check the return code ($?), and if it's greater than zero, I echo something which tells me which backup failed, and which logfile to check. This ignores the minor errors, but more major ones result in the appropriate warning.

Cheers, Chris.
--
 / __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <0000 at qwirx.com> - Cambs UK |