[rdiff-backup-users] SSH does not allow root logins

From: Santos
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] SSH does not allow root logins
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:26:18 +0100

I want to back the entire filesystem of server A to server B and vice-versa. And of cource, i want to maintain the same ownership definitions. The problem is that the SSH daemons have "PermitRootLogin no" on them and therefore no direct root login allowed. Something tells me, that the first backup would work, if done with a normal user, because a normal user can chown a file to root, but the following backups wouldn't work, as the user can't override a file owned by root.

- But how i can do  use rdiff-backup  with this?

- Does rdiff-backup only use SSH?

Never did this kind of backup with rsync, but with rsync, i suppose i could allow rsync access only from the other server and still have a nice secure setup.

Thanks in advance.