[rdiff-backup-users] Excluding folders and trailing slashes

From: Ilari Scheinin
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Excluding folders and trailing slashes
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:49:05 +0200

I noticed slightly inconsistent behaviour while excluding folders. If you don't use a wildcard, it doesn't matter whether there is a trailing slash or not. But if you do have a wildcard, it does. It could be that this is expected behaviour and documented somewhere, but at least for me, it caused some extra head scratching. I am using rdiff-backup 1.1.9 and py-xattr 0.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.9.

Here's a demonstration:

This is what I am testing with.
$ ls -R test
foo

test/foo:
bar

test/foo/bar:
file

When I am not using wildcards with the --exclude, the trailing slash does not matter:
$ rdiff-backup --exclude test/foo/bar test backup1
$ rdiff-backup --exclude test/foo/bar/ test backup2

In both cases, "bar" gets excluded and the directories backup1/foo and backup2/foo are empty.

But if I do use a wildcard, there is a difference:
$ rdiff-backup --exclude "test/*/bar" test backup1
$ rdiff-backup --exclude "test/*/bar/" test backup2

Now, backup1/foo is empty like it is supposed to be, but backup2/foo is not:
$ ls backup2/foo
bar

On another note, nowdays that most of the new computers have multiple processor cores, how hard would it be to make rdiff-backup take advantage of it? It seems that in most cases the process is cpu bound, so I think it could make a difference, but I am afraid that it would require such major changes that it is practically out of the question at the moment?

Ilari