[rdiff-backup-users] Re: First Try

From: Mark Williamson
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: First Try
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 03:15:38 +0100

> In answer to some feedback I have gotten on my problems, I submit the
> following info from http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/features.html
>
> 1. "rdiff-backup records file metadata [owner, permissions, etc] in a
> separate file so that all information is preserved even if the destination
> file system is missing features."
>
> 2. "Filesystem feature autodetection: People use rdiff-backup in many
> different environments. The filesystem they want to back up may be on
> Linux, Windows, or Mac. It may or may not be case sensitive, support
> characters like ":", have resource forks, extended attributes, or access
> control lists. Moreover, the file system they are backing up to may or may
> not support these features."

Hmmm, I stand corrected, thanks to both of you...  every time I think I've got
a handle on the cleverness of rdiff-backup, I find out it's even more cunning
than I realised!

I've just been having a play with backing up to a FAT filesystem myself.  I
got the hardlink-related error you saw but didn't see the other scary errors.

The hardlink errors (which I do realise aren't what's really bugging you) are
presumably rdiff informing you that the "mirror" in the destination directory
(which would normally look pretty much like the source directory) doesn't
look quite as it should because it can't do hardlinking...  That's my
guess ;-)

As for the other errors...  hrmmm.  What version of rdiff-backup are you
using?  Did you build it yourself or did it come with your Linux distro?

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!