Re: [rdiff-backup-users] "warning security violation" on fs_abilities.re

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] "warning security violation" on fs_abilities.restore_set_globals when trying to restore
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 11:36:18 -0400

Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> 2007/7/20, Andrew Ferguson <address@hidden>:
>> Nathan Kinkade wrote:

>> > I upgraded the relevant machines to v1.1.12, but still seem to be
>> > getting the same error when I try to restore.  Backups still seem to
>> > be operating just fine.  Again, this is what I'm seeing:
>> >
>> > $ rdiff-backup --restore-as-of now ./some/backup remote::/some/dir/restore
>> > Exception
>> > Warning Security Violation!
>> > Bad request for function: fs_abilities.restore_set_globals
>> > with arguments: [<rdiff_backup.rpath.RPath instance at 0x404eca2c>]
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Nathan
>>

>> Nathan,
>>
>> Can you please send the complete traceback? It is very important for
>> debugging any issue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew
>
> Andrew,
>
> Here is the complete traceback, or at least as much as is dumped to
> stderr when I try to restore.  Let me know if there is any other info
> that may be helpful.  Thanks so much for your help. rdiff-backup seems
> like a great tool:
>
> $ rdiff-backup --restore-as-of now /some/backup remote::/some/restore/point

Nathan,

I'm fairly certain there's a bug here, but it may take a little bit to
fix it.

In the meantime, I believe you can avoid this issue by changing how you
are running the restore. Log onto 'remote' and run:

$ rdiff-backup -r now backup::/some/backup /some/restore/point

Try that and see if it works.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden