Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Recovery from recovery

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Recovery from recovery
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:02:16 -0400

Decibel! wrote:
> I recently had to recover from an aborted backup. Unfortunately, the
> recovery itself had to be aborted. Now I'm trying to do
> -check-destination-dir, but I keep running into this:
>
> Regressing file Previous Systems.localized/Previous System
> 1/private/var/vm/sleepimage

For starters, you don't need this file, and I would advise against
restoring it. You don't need it because: 1) it is from before an upgrade
of Mac OS X (say from 10.3 to 10.4 or 10.4 to a 10.5 candidate) and 2)
it is a file that is recreated as needed.

I would delete it from your backup and see if that solves the problem.
If not, you will have to unzip the relevant mirror_metadata file (with
gunzip) and then edit the entry for that file, either removing it
entirely or changing the unix permissions line to something innoccous
like 600. You can find the right mirror_metadata file by doing:

$ zgrep sleepimage mirror_metadata*

in your rdiff-backup-data dir. Make sure you edit the entry for this
one, as it may also find an entry for your current sleepimage file if
you have been backing up /var/vm (aka /private/var/vm).

Looking at the permissions for /var/vm/swapfile0 on my system, they are
1600 (that is, the sticky bit is set). I'll have to see if that kind of
setup causes a problem for rdiff-backup. I don't have a
/var/vm/sleepimage (are you using an Intel Mac?)

What does `ls -lo /var/vm/sleepimage` report on your system? Or `ls -lo
Previous Systems.localized/Previous System 1/private/var/vm/sleepimage`
? I'm curious what's causing the chmod error.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden