[rdiff-backup-users] Just getting started - stable vs. unstable branch?

From: Jason L. Buberel
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Just getting started - stable vs. unstable branch?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:09:44 -0700

Hello there,

I'm just now starting to evaluate rdiff-backup for use in a production backup environment. I am planning to perform backups of three remotely-hosted PostgreSQL databases to a central backup server. I will be using the Postgres hot-backup feature which freezes the primary file system storage area so that a pristine snapshot can be made.

Each of these database backups will require approximately 100GB for the full image, and I am hoping to be able to retain two to three weeks of history using weekly incremental snapshots.

Based on recent mailing list traffic, it seems like the 1.1.x series is nearing the 'stable' point. Would the recommendation be to use 1.1.14 or later as the starting point for my testing and evaluation? Would there be any major risks that I should be aware of?

Any suggestions appreciated,
Jason