Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup stops while reading mandatory moun

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup stops while reading mandatory mounted dir
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:42:29 -0400

Mike Constabel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i don't know if this is expected or so...
>
> rdiff-back tries to backup an mountpoint with mount option "mand" and
> it stops. It hangs, forever. ;)

Hi Mike,

Yes, it should hang forever. You have asked it to backup a file that
another process has issued a mandatory read lock on, apparently.
rdiff-backup is doing precisely what you asked it to do. Unfortunately,
it is being stymied by another process you are running.

> I think I should exclude this dir . However, can or should
> rdiff-backup ignore this and go over it?

Either that, or terminate the process that is holding the lock (havp)
before running the backup.

If rdiff-backup were to try and ignore this on its own, it would have to
test for the presence of a lock on *every single* file on your
filesystem. This would cause significant slowdown.

Patches to implement this as an optional feature would almost certainly
be accepted.

> Hanging around forever is imho not so god...

Perhaps that's the reason that the Linux mand option is non-POSIX...

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden