Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error in

From: David
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error in
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 12:06:46 +0200

On 9/6/07, Mario Doering <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> I get the following error using rdiff-backup 1.1.14 on cifs mounted
> share.
>
> What other information can I offer? Or what obvious error did I make? :D

Your problem as far as I can tell, is trying to use a cifs mount as a
rdiff-backup destination.

rdiff-backup wants to preserve the permissions of the source perfectly
at the destination (so it can compare against them in the future), but
a cifs mount doesn't provide the ability to create hardlinks,
symlinks, set extended attributes, etc. Just basic stuff like modified
date basic ACLS/permissions+mods.

I think that your rdiff-backup is failing because it detects a failed
earlier rdiff-backup session and wants to regress to before that
failed backup. But the regress fails because rdiff-backup is unable to
set the permissions etc it wants to on your backup destination.

Preferably log into the remote server, and run rdiff-backup locally.

Alternately, you may be able to run rdiff-backup --check over a nfs
mountpoint, or against a rdiff-backup service runnning on the remote
host.

It may be another reason (I'm not familiar with rdiff-backup's
internals and stack trace), but first try the above, then post the
error if you get one.

David