Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup follows symbolic links to other fi

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup follows symbolic links to other filesystems with --exclude-other-filesystems enabled
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:53:53 -0400

David wrote:
> If the symlink is under the backup source, then in all cases it should
> always be copied as a symlink and never followed.

Mea culpa.  rdiff-backup is behaving correctly and doing what I expected
originally.

The mistake I made when checking was probably (symlink_dir is a symlink
on the source filesystem, to a directory on a different fs):

ls -l /media/rdiff_backup/symlink_dir/

instead of

ls -l /media/rdiff_backup/symlink_dir

The first dereferences the symlink and shows the contents of the
symlinked directory.  The second shows the symlink without following it.
 What surprises me a little now is that:

ls -ld /media/rdiff_backup/symlink_dir/

still doesn't indicate that /media/rdiff_backup/symlink_dir is a symlink

Thanks, and sorry for the false report.

Matt Flaschen