[rdiff-backup-users] Backing up a directory structure

From: Robert Davidson
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up a directory structure
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:14:07 +1100

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is any way to get rdiff-backup to backup only a
directory structure, and not the files within it.  Take /var/run and
it's various subdirectories as an example, for which there is little to
no need to have the actual files within.

Another example would be /var/spool/squid, or maybe the vast majority of
/var/spool

I think being able to do this would help when it comes to restoring a
servers entire filesystem from backups, so as lots of little things
aren't broken.  For example, if /var/run/postgresql doesn't exist,
postgresql won't start.  If /var/spool/squid/* doesn't exist, squid
won't start, yet one might not want to backup the files in those
directories as they are arguably pretty useless.

I know I could work around this with a lot of exclude-regexp's, but I'm
wondering if there is a better approach?

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Robert Davidson.