[rdiff-backup-users] Splitting large initial backup?

From: Richard Crane
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Splitting large initial backup?
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:14:24 -0500

I have a ~400GB partition that will take, based on smaller jobs, about 32 hours for the initial copy. I would like to split this into several partial jobs but there doesn't seem to be any way to join them back together, so that subsequently I can run a single job to increment everything.

E.g:  source contains
/top/A
    /B
    /C

I tried
rdiff-backup --include /top/A --exclude /top/* source::/top backup/
rdiff-backup --include /top/B --exclude /top/* source::/top backup/

-- of course, /top/A was deleted ( duh!)

What if I do

rdiff-backup --include /top/A --exclude /top/* source::/top backup/
rdiff-backup --include /top/A /top/B --exclude /top/* source::/top backup/

Obviously I'll pick up changes in the prior sections with each successive jobs, but there will be few changes over the several days this takes.

Or, can I remove the rdiff-backup-data directories at some point and have rdiff-backup build a new one, once all the files are copied for he first time?

Richard Crane
-------
Haskins Laboratories / (203) 865-6163 X 275 /  FAX (203) 865-8963

Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio, replied:
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat ."