Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Permission denied errors on files that original

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Permission denied errors on files that originally have no user
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:00:21 +0100

> hi peter. i may be misunderstanding the givens, but this does not
> sound like a situation that can be fixed within rdiff-backup. if you
> are running as a non-root user who does not own the file, you will not
> have permission to chmod it in order to read it.

I am running rdiff-backup as root on the source system, backing up to
a remote location where rdiff-backup is running as non-root. The file
is owned by non-root; root never touches the files on the destination.

In short, rdiff-backup never running as anything but the same non-root
user, it creates a backup archive that it is then unable to read.

So it's just a matter of the file being u-r, but it IS owned by the
user running rdiff-backup. But that doesn't mean it's readable by that
user - EXCEPT when the user is root.

So either rdiff-backup will have to opt to not preserve u-r when
running as non-root, or it has to fiddle with it during the restore
procedure. At least those are the options that come to mind.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden