RE: [rdiff-backup-users] external hard disk backups - best practice

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: RE: [rdiff-backup-users] external hard disk backups - best practice
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:28:09 +0000

My advice is to just do a 3 way rsync.

That way you can find and restore your backed up files without any special
tools, reducing the risk of the backup tool either trashing your data or the
backups (rdiff-backup deleted all my backups while doing a backup)

Hard links used in a 3 way rsync (the 3rd way being a reference to the last
non-incremental backup) mean you save space for unchanged files.

You won't get the space saving when large files change slightly, but that is
more than made up for by not getting the space back when rdiff-backup deletes
all your data.

Sam